How to Calculate Total Lengths
People commonly want to know the total length of all lines on a certain layer such as sewer mains. There are three different ways to do this.
Total Length for Entire Layer
- Click on the Layers button, and select the layer for which you want to calculate the total length.
- In the Browse tab, click on the Action Menu at the bottom of the page.
- Select "Calculate Total Length" in the Action Menu.
- See the total calculated length of that layer in a pop-up message at the top of the page.
Total Length for Certain Types of Assets
- Click on the Layers button, and then click on a layer name.
- Click on the Search tab, and perform a search for a specific type of asset such as all sewer lines of a certain size or material.
- On the search results screen, click on the Action menu at the bottom of the page and select "Calculate Total Length."
- The total length of all lines in your search results will be displayed in a pop-up message at the top of the page.
Total Length for a Certain Part of the System
- Click on the Menu button and then click the Select and Modify tool.
- Select the layer you want to calculate totals for.
- Click on either the Rectangle or Fence selection button and draw a boundary around the portion of your system that you are interested in such as the south east quadrant of the city.
- Repeat step 3 to select any additional lines that you may have missed in the first selection.
- After each selection the total length is displayed.